Salt Lake City is currently reviewing its ordinance relating to "Recognized Community Associations" What is your opinion on the proposed changes?
This project is currently being reviewed by the Planning Commission. For uptodate information please got to http://cboslc.com/.
Purpose - create a framework by which the people of the City may effectively organize into community associations representing a geographic neighborhood or area, or area of interest, and use this as one way to participate in civic affairs and improve the livability and character of the city and its neighborhoods.
Draft Ordinance - Click Here to review the Draft Ordinance
- Broadening the definitions to include all community-based organizations
- Removing reference to SLACC
- Removing the City from the boundary change process
- Removing section specifically requiring a presentation by an applicant to appear before the Community Council for Conditional Uses, Planned Developments and Zoning Amendments prior to the Planning Commission Hearing. Draft replacement language: The City Departments shall develop policies and procedures to show how they will provide notice and early participation opportunities for pending major city actions. These include but are not limited to public meetings, development projects, planning activities, grant and funding opportunities, which may have a significant impact on the membership of a registered community organization. Notice shall be given to affected community based organizations in a timely manner, including information on the timeframe for a response. For more information on this click here.
- Registered as non-profit with state
- Adopted bylaws
- Open membership and participation
- At least one meeting per year
- At least one meeting per year where a reasonable effort to notify everyone in the geographic boundaries or who may have interest (such as notifying all small business owners in City) about the Association.
- Election process for leadership
- Anti-discrimination provisions
- Where geographically based, the boundaries do not overlap with other Community Associations geographic boundaries.
- Maintained by the Recorder’s Office
- Used for purposes of notification, involvement in city projects and processes
- Information required for registration
- Annual renewal required
Contact Information and Process
The City has been reviewing this ordinance with the community for several months. We have met with the Community Council Chairs on multiple occasions at the Mayor's Breakfast and held an open house on August 16, 2012. We will continue to refine the draft ordinance based upon the the input we receive from the community. After which we will take the request to the Salt Lake City Planning Commission for a public hearing and request a recommendation from them. The findings will then be transmitted to the Mayor's office for review and modifications should they deem them necessary and then transmit the recommendation to the City Council. The City Council will be the final decision maker on the proposed changes.
The Planner assigned to this ordinance change is Nole Walkingshaw. He can be reached at 801-535-7128 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Comments may also be mailed to:
Salt Lake City Planning
c/o Nole Walkingshaw
451 S State St, Room 406
PO Box 145480
Salt Lake City, Utah 84114-5480
Outcome: Positive Recommendation to City Council
December 12, 2012Read More >