A Cemetery Master Plan has been drafted to guide the management and preservation of the Cemetery into the future. Please provide your feedback on the draft Plan.
Salt Lake City is creating a master plan to guide preservation and management, enhance appropriate uses, and address future financial sustainability of the Cemetery. While the Cemetery is a beautiful, peaceful place, with amazing views of the city and proximity to biking and walking trails and abundant wildlife, it also contains aging infrastructure, minimal parking and little or no room for expansion.
Master Plan Vision Statement
Preserve and enhance the Salt Lake City Cemetery as an active Cemetery and public open space
that invites the public to enjoy the Cemetery's historic, recreational, and natural resources.
The third phase of master plan development began last fall to gather public feedback on the proposed goals of the Plan.
Master Plan Goals
- Enhance and develop opportunities to explore the Cemetery through walking, jogging and cycling
- Create a welcoming and attractice space that can accommodate visitors by enhancing the area surrounding the Sexton Building
- Increase opportunity for public use by providing new services and amenities
- Make information about activities and resources more available to the public through digital and print media
- Expand the feeling of community ownership and stewardship
- Work with community partners to identify opportunities and programs to highlight the rich history of the Cemetery
Historic and Natural Resources
- Preserve and enhance the natural resources in the Cemetery
- Manage the Cemetery with a reverent and respectful atmosphere for the loved ones of those buried there
- Preserve the historic features, resources and character
- Develop an arboretum, continue to plant trees, and create interpretive information
- Create a comprehensive strategy to repair infastructure, including roads and maintenance facilities
- Incorporate sustainable maintenance practices, especially those that have the potential to reduce ongoing maintenance costs
- Develop opportunities to continue to provide burial and internment offerings
Provide Your Feedback
The draft Master Plan provides strategies going forward to address each of these goals. Click here to view the proposed strategies. Provide your feedback by clicking the blue button below.
Thank you for your time and interest.